Saturday, September 22, 2012

A lot has happened is 17 months

Wow!  It's been a while.  Things went a little crazy after my last post, then I guess I forgot to keep posting.  So here's an update.  Just six days after my post I ended up having our baby.  He came at 33 weeks and 2 days.  He was 4 lbs 5 oz and 19 1/2 inches long.  I guess for posterity I should record what happened to remember.  On 4/27/11, I had a normal day and that evening went to mutual as usual, we actually went for a walk to get ice cream and I felt great.  I woke up on 4/28/11 having a lot of pain, after a few hours we decided I was having contractions and we started timing them.  They were getting closer and closer and the pain kept getting worse, so we called the doc and she said to go to the hospital to get checked.  After dropping Rosty off with a neighbor we headed up.  Apparently I hide my pain well because they kept telling me about Braxton hicks contractions and how they are common.  Side note: with both kids I start braxton hicks about 16-20 weeks, so I am very familiar with them.  Anyway, after watching me for a while, they called my doc who said to have me checked just to be sure, and they discovered I was dialated to a 5 and 90% effaced.  Wow!  I cried, got scared, all that fun stuff, then they sent me home on bed rest and pills to stop the contractions.  After calling family, my mom decided to head down just to help up out while I was on bedrest, and we gathered up Rosty and headed for home.  I continued having contractions all day, the pills were not helping, but I didn't want to go back to the hospital so I just stayed home.  Ryan told me through the night I would wake up every few minutes and cry and shake then go back to sleep.  Probably one of the most worst nights of sleep I've ever had.  The next morning after a warm bath and laying in bed, my mom called my cousin Sherri who is a labor and delivery nurse to ask what we should do.  After explaining all the gory details she said I needed to get into the hospital as soon as I could to get checked, so we left Rosty with my mom and off we went to the hospital.  Of course once we got there, the contractions stopped, and they started telling me again about false labor.  The nurse acted really annoyed with us that we would waste her time, but again my doctor said to check me because I said I was contracting all night.  Guess what, I was dialated to a 7 and 100% effaced!  Yikes!! More crying and calling family, we were having a baby that day.  My Dad and sister, Missy headed to Ogden to be there for our little guys arrival.   They took us to a room and got us ready, and within an hour we had a baby.  Taegan Winsper Wood was born on 4/29.  Little turkey couldn't wait to get here, and he's still doing things a lot quicker than we would like.  He stayed in the NICU for 18 days (longest days of my entire life).  I'm so grateful for the doctors and nurses that watched over him.  It was such a hard thing to leave him at the hospital everyday, but he did well and continues to do well.  He is now almost 17 months old and thriving!  As for why I had him early, they have no idea.  Apparently it's not typical for a mother to go 41+ weeks with one and early with the next unless there were issues, but I had no issues so for now, when I have another baby I will be watched more carefully and be considered high risk just to make sure all goes well.  There you go posterity, the story of Taegan's birth.

1 comment:

Chantell said...

Wow Tiff! I'm so glad he's ok! That is so scary! Geez. When I'm dialated to a 7 I'm crying and sometimes screaming! ;) You are for sure one tough cookie!